Craftie Cafe: Happy Halloween with Ghosties!

Let me just say – I do not celebrate Halloween (though I may or may not buy and snack on a few of the jumbo sized candy bags that become available in the lead up towards it.) But … Halloween seems to be gaining popularity here in Australia and let’s be honest I’m not going to pass up an opportunity to work with Halloweens awesome colour scheme - oranges, purple and black!

When we were given this theme from our lovely Craftie Café co-ordinator I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted to play with. I was browsing their web store for a few days before I settled on the Impression Obsession die – Ghosties. I originally wanted something that could be used again because I’m also one who likes to be able to get the most out of what I buy especially when it comes to craft supplies! There were a number of dies that would have worked with the card design I made – cats, bats, witches, pumpkins, skeleton, even owls! I searched for these words using the Craftie Café search engine and really had a difficult time settling on one.

But I did…and here is the card!





I decided to snap a few photos of the process I used to create the second card I made because once I had finished the first Halloween card I was brainstorming with a girlfriend puns that I could use for the ghosts in the card – like I said I wanted to get the most out of these dies. We came up with a few; some were quite funny but didn’t really suit the card.

You’re BOO-tiful, Have a BOO-tiful day! I bought you some BOOS (BOOZE to clarify – we had a giggle at that one), You are Fab-BOO-lous and then finally we came up with Have a Spook-tacular Birthday! Perfect! I printed this part out using Word (Font:  Chiller). Below you will find a list of supplies as well as the photo tutorial.




Background Tutorial (Photos)


(1) I first started by die-cutting the ghosties die several times on white card. (2) Next, using Distress Ink – Carved Pumpkin I blended the ink using a blending tool to create a gradient look. (3) I used an old Mama Elephant - cloud die that I had in my stash to create a cloud stencil. (4) I adhered my card front to my craft mat to prevent it from moving.


(5) I then proceeded to blend Distress Oxide Ink – Twisted Citron on to my card front starting from the top (6) and moving the cloud ‘stencil’ down until the card front was completely covered. (7) I repeated this process again this time starting at the bottom of my card front using Distress Oxide Ink – Worn Lipstick and (8) moved the ‘cloud’ stencil up with a larger gap in between each cloud.


(9) Next, I die-cut a large rectangle (10) and then started adhering the ghosties. (11) It was at this point I felt like the card was missing something – so for three of the ghosties, I adhered some card (yellow ink blended into white card) behind them and decided to use 3d foam tape for a few of them to give the card more interest.

As mentioned before, I printed the sentiment, trimmed it down then stapled it to my card front (horizontally). I didn’t stop there! These ghosties were so cute – I added a few eerie eye stickers (I couldn’t find my googly eye stash!) and used a few star enamel stickers to embellish the card.

I hope you enjoyed this little photo tutorial – I absolutely love how Distress Oxide inks look on dark card stock. I’ve experimented on a few inks (chalk and pigment) and never got the same result. Definitely a must try product especially on dark cardstock!


Tape Runner/3D Foam Tape/Glue Pen
Scissors/Paper Trimmer
Neenah White Cardstock
Black Cardstock
Distress Ink – Carved Pumpkin
Gina K Ink – Wild Dandelion
Blending ToolWow Embossing Powder - White
My Little Paper World – Rectangle Nesting Die TRIBAL
Clear Stamp Block
Heat Tool/Versamark
Cuttlebug
Stapler
Eerie Eye Enamel Stickers


Thanks for stopping by!


Happy Crafting!

Samantha

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Elizabeth Craft Designs: You Are Awesome!

Growing in Unity: Day 1

Guest Designer: Beth Duff Designs (+ Blog Hop!)